Charities Aid Foundation Southern Africa (CAFSA) is searching for a reliable, deadline-driven construction supervisor to oversee construction work at a few rural schools in KZN.
CAFSA is an independent non-profit organisation that promotes and facilitates effective giving, volunteering, and social investment. CAFSA has been represented in South Africa since 1997 and in 2000 became a registered Section 21 not-for-profit and public benefit organisation.
As part of its mandate, CAFSA partners with big businesses to effectively act as an independent implementation agent to assist with their Corporate Social Initiatives (CSI).
During April and May 2022, KZN was ravaged by floods which caused extensive damage to public and private sector infrastructure and property. Areas most impacted were along the coastal regions. The Government along with Civil Society, NGOs and the Private Sector mobilised in response to this disaster to provide assistance to impacted Communities. As part of this response, SASOL South Africa engaged with the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Education (DoE) with a view to provide financial assistance for impacted schools identified by KZN DoE.
SASOL SA engaged with the KZN DoE on the 17th of May 2022. On the 26th of May 2022, SASOL SA received a list of 12 schools from KZN DoE. From this list, 11 schools were inspected by representatives from SASOL, CAFSA and KZN DoE on 31st May and 1st June 2022.
CAFSA engaged the services of an engineering firm to provide further information on the status of the schools. Eight schools were examined in more detail and after considering the findings in all reports. The number of schools to be considered for flood damage repairs was reduced to seven schools.
On 21 & 22 September 2022 a briefing session and site visits was held with two shortlisted building contractors.
These contractors must submit their written quotations by close of business. Monday, 3 October 2022.
For effective implementation of this maintenance project, CAFSA will appoint a Project Supervisor to ensure the repairs and maintenance work is done according to plan and within the scheduled time frame.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES & REQUIREMENTS
The construction supervisor’s responsibilities include monitoring performance and making recommendations for improvement, as well as monitoring safety. You should ensure that projects stay within budget and that required materials and equipment are available.
- Ensuring teams work together to deliver quality work to strict deadlines.
- Monitoring construction processes.
- Ensuring adherence to health and safety regulations at all times.
- Performing equipment, material, and routine site inspections.
- Scheduling regular meetings with vendors to address issues affecting the project.
- Working closely with the sponsor, implementing partner, school management and professionals.
- Processing paperwork and traveling to multiple sites as required.
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- High school diploma or similar.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction, business, management, or engineering preferable.
- Experience in the construction industry required.
- Experience in a leadership role recommended.
- Valid driver’s license and own transport.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to focus and keep calm under pressure.
- Ability to keep track of multiple projects.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of safety regulations and building codes and identify problems and find feasible solutions to them.
The incumbent will report to relevant officials at CAFSA and SASOL.
- This is a fixed term contract position for a period of 3 months commencing ASAP.
- The incumbent must be based in KZN.
- Remuneration will be based on experience and qualifications.
- Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have any queries please email them to the above address or call Randhir Rampersad, cell 079 0688 132.
- Deadline for applications is close of business, 3 October, 2022.