Charities Aid Foundation (Southern Africa) is looking to engage the services of a suitably qualified and experienced person, on contract basis until 30 September 2023, for its client, the US Embassy. The position is based in Pretoria at the American Corner in Pretoria.
Position: Assistant American Corner Coordinator
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
In close consultation with the American Corner Pretoria Project Coordinator proactively designs and coordinates the delivery of a wide range of outreach and professional development programs that align with and advance the American Corner, the U.S. Mission to South Africa (Mission) and Department of State (DOS) goals. Work closely with the City of Tshwane and the Pretoria Public Affairs Section to leverage shared resources and provide comprehensive programming to target audiences. Assists with developing social media outreach campaigns to target audiences. Develops strong partnerships with tech innovators, civil society, entrepreneurs, business and cultural leaders, artists, educators, and students.
Reports to the designated supervisor, as assigned by the City of Tshwane.
Working Hours: 12:30-16:30 Monday to Friday – 20 hours per week
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
American Space Management: 50%
1. Report for duty as per shift roster, providing library services. Create a welcoming atmosphere for visitors.
2. Keep statistics on visitors and programs.
3. Promote and market the use of electronic (online databases) and print resources available, at the Corner.
4. Provide research assistance to members using online databases and reference materials.
5. Schedule venue bookings for speakers, workshops training, and program activities taking place at the Corner.
6. Assist with marketing programs, recruiting audiences, program set-up and preparation.
7. Troubleshoot minor equipment problems, speaking with Embassy staff when technical assistance/repairs required.
8. Manage internet café by scheduling and monitoring patron usage of computers and equipment.
9. Assist the American Corner Project Coordinator with identifying resources and needs and recommending additions.
10. Submit program reports and monthly statistics, to the American Spaces Coordinator.
11. Keep the American Corner neat and tidy, including re-shelving materials, returning chairs and furnishings to their place, and ensuring equipment is shut down and secured at the close of each day. Cleaning up materials, trash, and any refreshments promptly, at the end of programs.
Outreach Management and Delivery: 50%
1. Contribute to the management and oversight of outreach and programming at the American Corner.
2. Work closely with the American Spaces Coordinator at the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section, to develop a strategic annual plan for outreach and a monthly calendar of events.
3. Design innovative and engaging programs that align with the American Corner Pretoria, U.S. Mission and DOS goals and priorities.
4. Contribute to the coordination of all phases of program management, focusing on, analysing target audiences, and developing the most effective format to reach them.
5.Develops strong partnerships with tech innovators, civil society, entrepreneurs, arts organizations, educational institutions including colleges/ Universities and high schools, which can partner with ACP to deliver quality programming that is effective and mutually beneficial.
6. Expand the American Corner program to other City of Tshwane Libraries in different communities.
7. Build partnerships with local community radio stations to promote American Corner programs
8. Organize ACP Open Day events for different audiences.
1. Education: Tertiary Qualification preferred.
2. Prior Work Experience: One year of experience in program management, outreach development and delivery.
3. Language Proficiency: High-intermediate to advanced, English skills,
4. Knowledge: Familiarity with U.S. and South African history, politics, culture, and society. Familiarity with emerging technology, program design and marketing/public relations.
5. Skills and Abilities: Good customer service, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills. Ability to think creatively, able to independently plan, organize, and carry out assigned responsibilities, good written and oral communication skills. Confident use of the computer including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, internet search skills, and social media sites like Facebook.
Please send your CV and availability date to email@example.com . Closing date 16 December 2022. Quote Assistant American Corner Coordinator in the subject of the email.
Should you have any queries, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Dr Wycliffe Ouma (Cell – 067 017 2201).