ABOUT THE AMERICAN CORNER PRETORIA:
In 2014, the City of Tshwane agreed to partner with the United States Embassy to open an American-style public library, an American Corner, hosted by the Es’kia Mphahlele Community Library, Tshwane’s grandest library in the heart of downtown Pretoria.
American Corners are places that advance knowledge and inspire dialogue and collaboration between people. They serve as gateways to U.S. culture, values, and education to support mutual understanding among the diverse communities of our nations. Corners are open to all members of the public and services are free of charge.
To promote research, professional development, and personal enrichment, American Corner Pretoria (ACP) provides high-speed Internet access and state of the art equipment, together with print and digital resources. The Corner is also a place for collaboration and discussion to foster young leaders and entrepreneurs and create opportunities to build relationships with peers in the United States.
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION:
In close consultation with the American Corner Pretoria Project Coordinator proactively designs and coordinates the delivery of a wide range of outreach and professional development programs that align with and advance the American Corner, the U.S. Mission to South Africa (Mission) and Department of State (DOS) goals. Work closely with the City of Tshwane and the Pretoria Public Affairs Section to leverage shared resources and provide comprehensive programming to target audiences. Assists develop social media outreach campaigns to target audiences. Develops strong partnerships with tech innovators, civil society, entrepreneurs, business and cultural leaders, artists, educators, and students.
Reports to the designated supervisor as assigned by the City of Tshwane.
Working Hours: 12:30-16:30 Monday to Friday – 20 hours per week
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. American Space Management 50%
1. Report for duty as per shift roster, providing library services. Creates a welcoming atmosphere for visitors.
2. Keep statistics on visitors and programs.
3. Promote and market the use of electronic (online databases) and print resources available at the Corner.
4. Provide research assistance to members using online databases and reference materials.
5. Schedule venue bookings for speakers, workshops training, and program activities taking place at the Corner.
6. Assist with marketing programs, recruiting audiences, program set-up and preparation.
7. Troubleshoot minor equipment problems, speaking with Embassy staff when technical assistance/repair is required.
8. Manage internet café by scheduling and monitoring patron usage of computers and equipment.
9. Assist the American Corner Project Coordinator to identify resources and needs, recommending additions.
10. Submits program reports and monthly statistics to the American Spaces Coordinator.
11. Keep the American Corner neat and tidy, including re-shelving materials, returning chairs and furnishings to their place, and ensuring equipment is shut down and secured at the close of each day. Cleaning up materials, trash, and any refreshments promptly at the end of programs.
2. Outreach Management and Delivery. 50%
1. Contributes to the management and oversight of outreach and programming at the American Corner.
2. Works closely with the American Spaces Coordinator at the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Section to develop a strategic annual plan for outreach and a monthly calendar of events.
3. Designs innovative and engaging programs that align with the American Corner Pretoria, U.S. Mission and DOS goals and priorities.
4. Contributes to the coordination of all phases of program management, focusing on, analyzing target audiences, and developing the most effective format to reach them.
5. Develops strong partnerships with tech innovators, civil society, entrepreneurs, arts organizations, and educational institutions including colleges/ Universities and high schools, that can partner with ACP to deliver quality programming that is effective and mutually beneficial.
6. Expand American Corner program to other City of Tshwane Libraries in different communities.
7. Build partnership with local community radio stations to promote American Corner programs
8. Organize ACP Open Day events for different audiences
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Prior Work Experience: One year of experience in program management, outreach development and delivery.
- Language Proficiency: High-intermediate to advanced English skills,
- Knowledge: Familiarity with U.S. and South African history, politics, culture, and society. Familiarity with emerging technology, program design and marketing/public relations.
- Skills and Abilities: Good customer, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills. Ability to think creatively, able to independently plan, organize, and carry out assigned responsibilities, good written and oral communication skills. Confident use of the computer including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, internet search skills, and social media sites like Facebook.
- Resident of Tshwane
NATURE OF CONTRACT:
Please note that you will NOT be employed by the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria or American Croner Pretoria. This is a part-time, independent contractor position at Makers Valley Partnership, administered by the Charities Aid Foundation Southern Africa. The position is subject to the availability of funding for the American Space and will only be renewed on an annual basis should funding be allocated for this purpose.
Send your CV and a short introduction of yourself, why you are applying for the position and why you think you this position would be a good fit for you and ACP. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than midnight 26th September 2021.