CAFSA is searching for a part-time Cultural, Art, and English Language Program Assistant at the American Corner Cape Town (ACCT).
BACKGROUND: The primary goal of the American Corner in Cape Town (ACCT) is to foster stronger ties and build relations between the United States of America and the Republic of South Africa through programs and activities that facilitate the sharing of information and ideas and people-to-people exchange between Americans and South Africans.
CAFSA is the implementing partner for the U.S. Mission in South Africa’s American Spaces program. In that role, it coordinates with the Public Diplomacy Section (PD) of the U.S. Consulate in Cape Town to design and implement programs and activities that advance goal of the ACCT and manage the space itself. The ACCT is located in and hosted by the Cape Town Central Library, so ACCT staff, PD, and CAFSA also coordinate closely with the Central Library team related to programming in and public access to the space.
JOB OVERVIEW AND CORE RESPONSIBILITIES:
In coordination and consultation with CAFSA, the PD Section of the U.S. Consulate in Cape Town and the Space Activation, Outreach and STEM Program Director, the Cultural, Art, and English Language Program Assistant will lead design and implementation of culture, art, and English language programming in the ACCT in support of the ACCT’s goals and will assist the Space Activation, Outreach, and STEM Program Director with management of day-to-day programming and some administrative tasks.
- Design and implement a program/activity plan for the ACCT utilizing culture — including history, society, trends, and current events — and art — including, but not limited to dance, theatre, film, fashion, fine arts, and music — and activities to enhance English language teaching and learning to increase understanding, cooperation, and exchange between Americans and South Africans.
- Together with the EducationUSA and English Language Coordinator, create engaging English language programming to improve oral, speaking, and reading skills among audiences whose primary language is not English.
- Identify target communities or participants for programs and create advertisements and outreach plans to engage those communities in ACCT activities.
- Work with subgrantees and other guests for creating engaging programs, including by recruiting expert speakers or performers for programs. Report to PD and to CAFSA the outputs and outcomes of activities and programs.
- Assist in managing the ACCT on a daily basis including interacting with walk-in guests during open hours.
- The employee will assist with some defined administrative tasks for keeping the space active and functioning in coordination with and to back up the Space Activation, Outreach and STEM Program Director.
- Interface with the Central Library staff when needed for coordination of programs or activities.
- Attend regular meetings with CAFSA, PD and with the South African Mission’s American Spaces (AS) network and at times attend larger meetings and trainings among AS peers throughout the world.
- A deep interest and knowledge in cultural studies and the arts, as well as an appreciation for cultural diversity.
- Ability to organize program events, activities, and resources efficiently.
- Proficiency in administrative tasks, including scheduling, record-keeping, and data management.
This position will be part time up to 30 hours per week based in CapeTown. Working hours to be negotiated.
Please submit a resumѐ to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date 31 October 2023.