With more than 650 locations worldwide, American Spaces are strategically powerful public diplomacy tools that support U.S. foreign policy goals by providing technologically modern and welcoming places for direct foreign audience engagement. We are excited about a new American Space that will open at Victoria Yards at 16 Viljoen Street, Lorentzville, Johannesburg in February 2021.
Please note that you will NOT be employed by the U.S. Mission to South Africa (the U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg, or the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria). You will similarly NOT be employed by the Charities Aid Foundation Southern Africa (CAFSA). CAFSA will assist Makers Valley NPC with making the appointment, and will be administering this contract, part-time position on behalf of the Makers Valley American Corner. The position is subject to the availability of funding for the American Space and will only be renewed on an annual basis should funding be allocated for this purpose.
You will be responsible for creating a welcoming atmosphere for visitors and will manage and oversee outreach and programming at the American Corner, working closely with the Makers Valley NPC and the Public Affairs Section at the U.S Consulate General Johannesburg. You will assist in developing a strategic annual plan for outreach and a monthly calendar of events and will be expected to partner with experts, entrepreneurs, cultural leaders, and civil society to deliver quality programming. You will assist with establishing a network of American and South African volunteer speakers and program providers, determining a programming schedule for the volunteers and do outreach to the network to advise them of opportunities for participation in American Corner programs.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Prior Work Experience: One year of experience in program management, outreach development and delivery.
- Language Proficiency: High-intermediate to advanced English skills; fluency in a second South African language.
- Knowledge: Familiarity with U.S. and South African history, politics, culture, and society. Familiarity with emerging technology, program design and marketing/public relations.
- Skills and Abilities: Excellent customer, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills. Ability to respond rapidly to complex requests; to independently plan, organize, and carry out assigned responsibilities; Ability to prioritize work and incoming requests. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to help patrons with word processing, spreadsheets, and personal computing.
- Knowledge of makerspace technology preferably to include 3D printing, graphic design, virtual reality, coding, robotics, digital music production, video editing, or digital animation
- Candidate should ideally reside in one of the following areas: Lorentzville, Judith’s Paarl, Troyeville, New Doornfontein or Bezuidenhout Valley.
How to apply
Submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com no later than 23 November 2020
Application Deadline: 23 November 2020
Expected starting date: Beginning February 2021